Sanctity of Life

In 1991, the First Presidency issued a statement regarding abortion. In this statement they proclaimed, "In view of the widespread public interest in the issue of abortion, we reaffirm that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has consistently opposed elective abortion." The First Presidency knew, in this time, that the topic of abortion would be a much discussed topic and the center of many arguments at this day in age. The First Presidency wanted the world to know the church's official stance on the issue.

In this same statement, the First Presidency brought up a few instances where abortion may be "acceptable" if it is discussed between husband and wife, talked with about the bishop, and confirmed by prayer. These instances are: incest, rape, the health or life of the woman is in serious jeopardy, and if the baby is said to have severe defects that will not allow the baby to live after he/she has been born. Even in these cases, it does not mean that these are automatic decisions to have an abortion.

In the 27th chapter of Successful Marriages and Families, it talks about what life truly means. When I was in high school, my English teacher during my freshman and Junior years, would teach his classes about etymologies. The etymology of life has several different meanings ranging from, body, person, or something that remains, and continues. Emily Dickinson has said, "To be alive-is Power." According to the text, the authors take this phrase to suggest, "that life is empowerment, in spite of the risks and difficulties that human beings may experience in mortality."

From all of my posts, I hope that you have begun to understand that my first priority is not to judge, not to expect others to conform to my beliefs, and to support others in whichever decisions they choose to make in this life. Although I have my own beliefs, I believe, no, I KNOW, that everyone has agency. Everyone has a choice. And I will love and support them regardless.

Comments