Later in Life
One of my favorite movies to watch is called Book Club. It is about these women, who are friends, who have been a part of a book club since their youth. One is married but feels like her marriage has lost that "spark", one is a widow, one believes marriage is unnecessary, and the other is divorced. They all come very different backgrounds when it comes to men and their relationships. The reason why this is one of my favorites is because these women are mature, strong, and I LOVED watching their relationships change and flourish. It was so interesting to me and it truly made me want to wait to get married until I am older because I feel that the later in life you are, the later you find love, means that the love is more sincere and deeper.
In the ninth chapter of Successful Marriages and Families, it discusses the topic of marriage later in life, whether you are newly married or celebrating a long wedding anniversary. Within the church, there is a lot of of counsel and principles given to young couples or to those who are in the age of preparing for marriage. But, "there is less direction on how to maintain a high-quality marriage across the life-cycle or to rebuild and fortify a mature marriage that lacks strength and stability." I wish there more resources for those who are "older" and for the general tips on how to maintain that healthy marriage.
From what I have seen from many marriages, there are too many young couples who are marrying fast and don't have the knowledge or the resources to keep at the work that a marriage takes. I come from a very small time, and there are SO many couples who are were divorced within the first three years. I truly hope that there are some steps taken, in the church or out of it, that give counsel and direction to young couples to have a happy marriage. But also, for those "older" couples who still need some guidance as well. And again, I decided I'm waiting to get married until I'm in my fifties. (;
In the ninth chapter of Successful Marriages and Families, it discusses the topic of marriage later in life, whether you are newly married or celebrating a long wedding anniversary. Within the church, there is a lot of of counsel and principles given to young couples or to those who are in the age of preparing for marriage. But, "there is less direction on how to maintain a high-quality marriage across the life-cycle or to rebuild and fortify a mature marriage that lacks strength and stability." I wish there more resources for those who are "older" and for the general tips on how to maintain that healthy marriage.
From what I have seen from many marriages, there are too many young couples who are marrying fast and don't have the knowledge or the resources to keep at the work that a marriage takes. I come from a very small time, and there are SO many couples who are were divorced within the first three years. I truly hope that there are some steps taken, in the church or out of it, that give counsel and direction to young couples to have a happy marriage. But also, for those "older" couples who still need some guidance as well. And again, I decided I'm waiting to get married until I'm in my fifties. (;
Comments
Post a Comment