Abuse in Family Life

In the 24th chapter of Successful Marriages and Families it states, "Abuse involves hurting, demeaning, and controlling others, and often the worst types of abuse take place within families. Abuse comes in many forms, has many causes, is common, and can have profound consequences." The topic of divorce is a touchy subject, rightfully so. But, it is something that needs to be openly discussed so we can see the warning signs. There is something very important that I want to say, and that is, WOMEN are capable of abuse too. NOT just men. I have discussed previous topics that I am emotionally invested in, and this is one of them.

It is found that children are more "prone" to physical abuse they are still not of the age to properly stick up and fight for themselves. Child abuse is something that I would never tolerate and have the hardest time comprehending. These tiny humans are the most precious in God's eyes because of their purity and their innocence. To think that anyone could willingly abuse children whether it be emotionally, physically, spiritually, etc., is baffling to me.

In this same chapter it talks about how about half of sex offenders were abused themselves when they were younger. "...children tend to learn behaviors and attitudes from their parents and other important adults around them." It is known that children really do pay attention to the way their parents actg and treat others. I hope that we can all remain vigilant in creating a good example for our children to witness.

There are many things that we can do to help advocate against abuse, in all forms. We can "advocate for public policies that support the prevention as well as the treatment of child maltreatment.... supporting local and national agencies that address abuse, including programs that address abuse." Something that I have always wanted to do is to be a special advocate for those who have been through violence and other kinds of negative experiences. I URGE you, PLEASE, if you have witnessed abuse or know someone who is being abused, REPORT it. This person may not feel safe in doing so and is too afraid to reach out. You never know, you could save a life.

Comments