Individuality and Parenting

        As President James E Fault said, "Child rearing is so individualistic. Every child is different and unique. What works with one may not work with another." I love this quote, because before I started taking these classes online, I had never considered parenting as something that was meant to be individualized. Each child we have, even though they share the same DNA, is different, and carries different personalities. This is important to remember when we give them praise, discipline them, and to discover what they need.

        In chapter 10 of Successful Marriages and Families, it discusses how parents need to "work to adjust, relate to, and rear each child in a manner that is somewhat tempered to individual needs as parents and children learn from each other." We need to learn to adapt to each individual child because what may work on one, has a high possibility of not working on the other. Parents can help children reach their potential if parents work on "emphasizes positive child characteristics while providing opportunities for growth in areas where behaviors arising from the expression of particular spiritual and genetic attributes may be less desirable." We as parents have the responsibility to help our children grow and reach their potential.

        Parents should never drive their children to do anything. We should only help guide them along a healthy path that. We need to always remember that no matter how much we want to get involved, it is not our place and it is not our life to control. I hope that by learning to individualize my future parenting, always remembering to put love first, and to help our children grow, that I will carry these goals into my own future family, and that they will know they always have a home.

Comments