Hard Facts of Marriage

In the 7th chapter of Successful Marriages and Families, it discusses the importance of understanding that marriage isn't always unicorns and rainbows. There are some bitter, hard things that you will have to overcome, and it is SO important to realize that before you get in. If you have this notion that marriage is always perfect and happy, that is just going to make it even harder when you have to go through those hard times.

In this chapter, it mentions how the media, novels, and society is making people believe that marriage can be a form of women's oppression. It mentions the book Eat, Pray, Love, which happens to be one of my favorite movies. The message that was taken out of it though was how a woman left her career and most importantly, her marriage. However, I don't agree with this because I see it as a woman who felt stuck, who tried ways to help her situation and couldn't seem to find a solution, and someone who was unhappy in EVERY aspect of her life. We shouldn't take divorce lightly, but when someone is so unhappy to the point where they can't find joy in any aspect of their life, I agree with wanting to go out and soul search.

I am at a point in my life where I am happy being single. I have only felt this 1 other time. I appreciate the time I have to myself and to be honest, I am not in the mood to date or marry or anything like that. But, in the chapter id talks about how there is evidence that married adults are healthier than singles are. It is also found that married people are "generally happier, the studies find, with greater life satisfaction, lower risk for depression, and greater economic stability, all contributing to better mental health." Before this class, I honestly had no idea that married couples were all-around happier. While I am not actively searching for a man, I would be fine if someone just happened to come along.

My hope is that people understand that not a single marriage is perfect. There WILL be tough times, and you have to prepare yourself for those times. And while married people are said to be happier, that DOES not mean that single people can't be happy or find happiness alone. Honestly, I am SO close to doing what the main character in Eat, Pray, Love does, and just go out and discover parts of me I didn't know existed.

Comments